"Last morning..." is how my eldest, Elise, described anything in the past. Now, she's starting kindergarten and has no use for this phrase! I want to remember this, along with all of our stories, so I'm putting it here on Last Morning's Adventures. I hope you can either relate or get a laugh. :)

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My Name is Jackie, and I am a Soccer Mom

For some reason I was under the impression that a soccer mom was the mom who drives a minivan and carts a bunch of kids around to sporting events. I was informed that a soccer mom is in fact a mom who yells really loudly at their kid doing sports, trying to "improve" their game. Now, before you start making assumptions about my motives, let me just stand up for myself a little. It was the 4 year old who asked to play soccer instead of do dance, and it was also the 4 year old who brought up playing soccer this spring when I was planning on "letting it go." After each game in the fall she pouted that she didn't dribble the ball or score a goal. I tried to explain that she had to actually try to get the ball, that no one was going to just let her have it and just let her get a goal.

So, I tried keeping my mouth shut during the games, but it really just wasn't an option. With six players on each team, she was the only girl. She based her distance from the ball on how aggressive the boys were. At best, she would remain 5 feet behind the crew of boys circling the ball; at worst, about 20 feet. Once, she literally let the ball roll over her foot, watched the rest of the players run past her, then took off running as fast as she could 5 feet behind them. How can a mom not scream and jump up and down in that situation. Well, I just didn't have it in me! So, maybe I am a soccer mom.... This spring we had two improvements to the game:

1. Coach Daddy, and
2. Teammate Sarah

Thanks Team Tigers, for making this Soccer Mom proud! :) And did I mention the fan club?

2 comments:

  1. Now that was the one you said would make laugh. Your FB post made me cry. Lol.

    ReplyDelete