"Last morning..." is how my eldest, Elise, described anything in the past. Now, she's starting kindergarten and has no use for this phrase! I want to remember this, along with all of our stories, so I'm putting it here on Last Morning's Adventures. I hope you can either relate or get a laugh. :)

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Better Than You

What happened? Once upon a time I had this:

...And now...
a 5-year-old!

So much life has been lived over the past 5 years. Logically, I don't want to take it away....but my heart just won't listen. It wants to swoop back to that hospital room and live in our first moment face to face. Her squall immediately stopped when her cheek touched mine. She took a breath and sighed, my presence calming her.

Elise. Leesey. My babydoll. I want to give you everything you need to grow wings and become an amazing young woman. I know in my heart that you will be a head-turner, a soul-shaker, a strong presence that radiates power for your convictions. You pick up litter that others have dropped, you donated 14" of your hair to the birds to help them make nests, you organized troops at our Derby Party to go and find our Rudy-boy.

I'm a realistic person---mostly. I understand that a strong, independent mom *might* knock heads a little with a strong independent daughter. Sometimes. It's totally "normal" for a 5 year-old to tell her mother, "I'm going to be better than you when I grow up." Let's just slow this down just a *tad* please for your mother. I want you to be better than me one day, better in every way. Just for right now, I think I'll build a storm shelter and hide out with you down there on August 8. I mean, what's your kindergarten teacher going to do to me? Come find me? Yeah, right!

1 comment:

  1. Oh sweet little Elise and my sweet little Jackie. What wonderful people you are.

    ReplyDelete