"Last morning..." is how my eldest, Elise, described anything in the past. Now, she's starting kindergarten and has no use for this phrase! I want to remember this, along with all of our stories, so I'm putting it here on Last Morning's Adventures. I hope you can either relate or get a laugh. :)

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Dad He Didn't Have To Be

Those of you who listen to country music understand the title. That song makes me cry every. single. time I hear it! It's about a step-dad who never remembers the "step" part of his title...

Oh, my version---my Papa Bruce has a few weaknesses: ice cream, names, attention span...but his heart of gold is obvious even to the passerby. He *adores* his family and has never batted an eye at including my sister and me in that circle of his heart. He has never once put down my biological dad, but instead has supported me privately whenever I need him, being careful to never intrude. When my dad died last year, it was Papa Bruce who told me about his death. The genuine anguish in his eyes still amazes me.

This Father's Day weekend, I want everyone to show gratitude to the fathers in their lives who consider being a dad their life's passion. Sure, they screw up sometimes...but who likes a perfectionist anyway!? :) The true testament is their undying love.

And, will you give an extra thanks for my stand-in-dad? He is a Godsend to me. Truly.

And did I mention that he *absolutely* cherishes my mom. What more can a girl ask for? Thank you, Papa Bruce! I love you!

3 comments:

  1. Jackie thank you so much for writing this...I cannot put into words myself how grateful I am that you feel this way AND have gotten to experience what I've been blessed with my whole life! Love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, there is an incredible grace about bruce...accepting all of us with our faults. Thanks, Bruce, for your patience with our Honey...and through some rough years with our girls. And thanks so much for the love and joy you bring to Rity. Thanks Jackie girl for your kind words....strength to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this again today and cried.I love you Jackie and my dear sweet Bruce.

    ReplyDelete